Go Cougs

Go Cougs

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Cutting Out a Window

We needed a larger window in our basement bedroom.   It was quite a process to cut the foundation and get everything put back together. 


The small window was 12 inches tall and 30 inches wide.  Not nearly big enough to go out in case of a fire.  I bought a good sized window, 36 inches tall and 48 inches wide.  One good thing about cutting your own hole is that you can make it perfect for any size window.


Here I am after I made my first cut on the outside.  Then I measured and set up for the next cut.  The circular saw and diamond blade tore right through those cinder blocks.  I did not have to cut the top.  I just lined it up with the top of the old window and smashed out the thin extensions with a sledge hammer.


Second cut.  Very dusty.  Everything was going smoothly.  


Third and final cut on the outside.  My legs got tired from squatting down.  Every cut was a nice straight line.   Circular saws tend to cut straight, that made my job easier when it came time to install things later.  


This mask made this job bearable.  These masks are so much better than those other masks with the little bit of metal on the bridge of the nose.  These block 100% of the dust.  I felt great, even after a long day in a cloud of dust.


After I cut the inside edges, I used a sledge hammer to remove all the cinder block.  It was quite enjoyable.  It really let a lot of light into the room. 


After all the edges were cleaned with a chisel, I framed in a header.  All the boards fit snug and tight.  My dad gave me some house wrap to waterproof the window edges.  Tar and caulk will also help to keep all the water out.


Jennifer was a big help.  She kept the boys occupied while I worked.  She brought we water and miscellaneous tools.  She also took pictures to help me document the whole job.  


Here is the finished window.  I have one more little window to cut out.  I will do that one sometime later.  I am hoping to finish this bedroom before Jennifer has baby Keenan, so Seth and Carter can move downstairs.  This was one large step.  I now need to run a water line through the ceiling to the back of the house and a AC cooler line through the ceiling as well.  Then all it will need will be some sheet rock, paint and carpet.  Hopefully everything goes according to plan.

1 comment:

Jenson Evolution said...

Thomas you put everyone to shame with your do-it-yourself projects. This looks good, we hope you get everything done you need to do before Keenan arrives!