Go Cougs

Go Cougs

Sunday, August 18, 2013

We Got Chickens

I was listening to Barter Bar and a lady was selling chickens.  She only wanted $2 each.  She was saying that these chickens are good egg laying chickens.  I did not tell her, but I just wanted the chickens for their meat.  She sold me two chickens and one rooster.  If you thought we were getting these chickens as pets, you must know, we are NOT pet people.


I got them on Friday and took them to my house.  I did not have time to slaughter them until Saturday.  I knew the rooster would crow the next morning and I had a plan.  The dang rooster started to crow at 4:50 am.  I went outside with my head lamp on and sprayed it with the hose.  That shut it up for 30 minutes or so.  Then it crowed again.  I sprayed it with the hose again.  This went on for the whole morning.  I told Jennifer that I almost killed that rooster at 6 am, but I did not want to finish skinning it that early; plus I wanted the boys to watch.  


We kept the chickens next to our shed and fenced them in with Seth's baseball backstop gate.  


I was told to hold the chicken upside down to let all the blood rush to its head.  I killed the rooster first, because I did not know if I would be able to handle killing all three in one evening and I did not want the rooster crowing again the next morning.  We decided to skin them.  This was much quick and cleaner then plucking their feathers off.   


All three chickens skinned and processed.  


The two hens went into the freezer.  The rooster went straight into the crock pot.  We did not want it crowing in the freezer.

No comments: