Go Cougs

Go Cougs

Friday, October 31, 2008

Halloween

As we were deciding what to be for Halloween, we started by looking for Seth's costume first; we then developed our costumes based on his. If you can't tell, we went as the Frankenstein family. We bought Seth's costume at DI and then made our costumes out of things we already had around the house. Here we are prepared to go to the ward trunk-or-treat party. For anyone who has ever painted their face on Halloween, you can relate with how it itches or it wipes off when you touch it. As a result I have never liked painting my face much. This year we had a great idea. We painted our faces with water colors. I'm sure it has been done before and it is totally original, but I was a first for me. It worked great. It dried quickly and did not make my face itch. If I did need to touch my face, it did not wipe off. I was able to pick my nose all night and not mess up my makeup. As always half the fun of dressing up is finding things that will
actually make the outfit work. I wanted to be taller like Frankenstein,
so I cut up some phone books, spray painted them black, duct taped them together and tied them to my feet with some old shoe laces. They made me tall and completed the costume. The ward decided to make the trunk-or-treat more like a carnival. Instead of going around begging for candy, the kids would have to perform some activity to get the goods. Others chose the normal games like bean bag toss, fishing pond, horse shoes. We decided to make a miniature golf game. I took an old board that I have had laying around for a while, cut a hole in it and painted a ghost on it. The board is actually a door off of an old cabinet from the Cougar House. We propped it up on some old 2X4s and it worked great. Everyone told us how creative it was. Seth did well at the carnival. He did not get a chance to try out any of the other activities, but he had fun watching.

He is a picture of Seth sitting next to our pumpkins. I thought it would be funny to make a snowman out of pumpkins and it turned out exactly as I had dreamed it would. Seth gracious lent us his had for the pumpkin man.
Seth will not keep his hands out of his mouth. It is a constant battle to stop him. He only likes his hands or your hand. He will not take a pacifier. I think I may need to to something drastic. May be if I cover his hand in lemon juice or chili pepper, that will deter him. May be he just needs a Snickers to suck on.

3 comments:

Shawna, Bryan, and Dylan Beall said...

Hey Thomas! I found your blog page on Stephanie and Danny's. Your baby boy is so cute and only 26 days younger than my boy. Congratulations, they are so fun! Shawna Beall (Railsback)

AmyJo said...

You guys look really good. You all dressed up make me feel like a scrooge with my costume that is a t-shirt that says "official candy taster"
Your costumes look very athentic, good job! Way to go on the do, Jennifer!
Seth is just all oral right now and so you just need to go with the flow. No hurt that he sucks on his hand. Just start to worry if he is 2 and still sucking on his thumb.

Daniel, Stephanie, & Chloe said...

Looks like a fun night...wish I could have been there! I love your costumes! :)