Go Cougs

Go Cougs

Friday, September 10, 2010

Homemade Salsa


Yesterday I decided that I would make some salsa. I had gotten the tomatoes from my sister Heather (who panted 50 tomato plants). What I did not know was that it would take me all day.
I had to first blanch and remove the skins from 3 sacks of tomatoes, measuring to be 6 Quarts or 24 cups of tomatoes. Then it was time to cut the bell peppers and the recipe called for 6. After the bell peppers came the onions. We needed six of those diced also. Heather warned me that the onions would probably make me cry and they did. So after the tears were wiped away it was time to cut the jalapeƱos. Before I started cutting these I thought I would sample a small bit. Not a good idea. I ran straight for the cartoon of milk. Oh how it burned. Not smart. After the jalapenos was the garlic. Have you ever tried to peal the skins off of fresh garlic? I was having the hardest time. When I was finally finished with all of the chopping and cutting it had been over THREE HOURS and my hands were still burning from the jalapeƱos.




It was then time to put it all in to a big pot and let it simmer for 1 ½ to 2 hours. I then put it in to jars and into the jar sealer for 20 minutes. By the time it was all finished it was time to make dinner. We had burrito with some of the freshly made salsa. Yum!!
Seth is very pleased with the salsa. He loves salsa.  It was one of his first words.  When he was probably 12 months old, Thomas taught him to answer the questions, “What do you want for breakfast?”, “What do you want for lunch?”, “What do you want for dinner?” with the reply “Salsa.”  The boy loves his salsa.  Any kind of sauce he calls salsa. When we first introduced Seth to salad, he did not like it.  Then Thomas told him that Ranch dressing is salsa and now he loves it.

Making salsa has been a fun project and I look forward to the day that we have a garden and can grow a few things of our own for canning. 

4 comments:

Linda said...

Jennifer you are so awesome to make salsa. Where did you get your pan to boil the bottles in I cant think of the name? Garlic is easier to peel if you smash it first. so you can use your knife and use the side of it or use a glass and smash it, the garlic breaks apart and the skin should be easier to get off. For the next time you make Delicious Salsa!!

AmyJo said...

Sounds like fun! Wish I could have been there. after the onion cutting of course.Maybe some goggles would help. Way to go!
I love how Seth says, "Salsa"

Unknown said...

Looks delicious! Way to go Jennifer. You are so great with things like that.

Herbert said...

Look yummy..maybe you will help my wife to cook me a salsa jennifer.. lol.. great. now i'm hungry.. lol