Go Cougs

Go Cougs

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Peaches


Thomas and I decided that we would try our hand at canning our own peaches. To start off you have to blanch the peaches to get the skins off.  If you boil them in water for a minute or two, they come off quite easily.  Place them in cold water before removing the skins, to avoid burning your fingers.  Through this process we learned that in order for this to be effective you need to have ripe peaches and you need to only leave them in the boiling water a minute.  While I went to help Carter, Thomas took over the blanching.   Lets just say that we had a few that were a little over cooked.  Seth ate those, and loved them.


The skins came off really easy.  We cut an X on the bottom of each peach before blanching to give us a corner to get under.  


Thomas then cut the peaches and put them into the jars. We had enough to fill four jars.

They were then placed into a water bath, where they boiled for 25 minutes. Before they even started to boil I noticed that one of the jars had broken, so I carefully pulled out the pieces that I could and the others continued to boil. After they boiled I removed them from the heat and poured off some of the water so that they could more easily be removed with hot pads.


 
Here is the final project. It was a long process but we had fun learning along the way. Too bad there are only 3. :(

4 comments:

AmyJo said...

After all that work you can look at those jars and say they are a very beautiful sight. Canning is a lot of work and time hence I hit the case lot sales. It definitely is something to take pride in though. I learn all kinds of stuff from Jennifer, and well Thomas too!

Unknown said...

These look delicious. Great job. You will enjoy them more now because you canned themselves. Way to go!

John and Misty said...

Thomas!! I am surprised at you. I thought you would have cut a "Y" into those peaches instead of an "X".

Anonymous said...

Oh I just love peaches! Yummy!