Go Cougs

Go Cougs

Thursday, December 8, 2011

New Driveway

After we cut down our tree, we decided to put a driveway on the east side of our property. I will park my truck in this driveway and get it off the street.



I got this white pipe for free, and cut it in half. It was not long enough, so I put some old, rusty tin roofing in the middle.



I used some discarded rebar that Dad had lying around. The driveway is 10 feet wide, so I did 5 feet at a time. I mixed all the cement by hand in a 10 gallon container. The first night I did 30 bags of cement.



The next day Dad helped and it went a lot quicker with one mixing and one troweling it smooth. The first batch was not 100% cured, so we knelt on a wide board to spread out our weight and not have our toes make divots.



Getting just the right consistency is important. Less water means strong cement. Dad had a tendency to add too much water.



Mixing cement is a dusty job.



60 bags of cement later, this is how it turned out.



2 loads of gravel equaling 1 1/2 tons. Seth was there to help. I over loaded the wheel barrow a few times. It made breaking noises as it rolled along.



Black ground cover went down first, to stop weeds. I used a rake to spread things out nicely.



If cement is laid too thin it breaks. I framed the cement in so that it was 2 inches thick along the front edge that I will drive over. Then I got rotomill to make a ramp with. Rotomill is asphalt that has been torn up in order to resurface a road. Put the rotomill in place and soak it in diesel fuel, then tamp it in place.



Now we each have a parking spot. One more project down. On to the next.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is awesome! Good job! It looks really great!

Ray and Clara said...

When did you have time to do all of this? The neighbors are amazed because you work through the night and they see the results but no labor going on. Good Job!