Go Cougs

Go Cougs

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Boys Basement Bedroom

We have been working like mad to get this basement bedroom done before Keenan is born.  It took a lot of time, but it was all worth it.  We did new electrical.  We ran a water line through the ceiling to the back of the house for a hose.  We ran another line through the ceiling to hook the central air conditioner to the furnace.  That AC line was the most difficult.  It took a lot of bending and wiggling and forcing.  It took a few hours to get in, all spent with my arm above my head.  My shoulders were sore the next day.  The biggest project of all was cutting the foundation to put in a new, larger window.  Then we did sheet rock on the ceiling and paint.  The final step was carpet. 


We did a knock down technique for texturing the ceiling, also known as a California ceiling.  I screwed a flat board to a 2x4 for a handle; this is called a hawk.  The first step is to spread sheet rock mud on a wide board.  Press your hawk into the mud. 


Then press or stamp the mud on the ceiling creating little stalactites.  Rotate the tool and over lap your stamping as you go to create a random pattern.


Then take a knock down trowel and flatten the stalactites.  I am very please with how it turned out.  It really helps to hide any imperfections and sheet rock seams.  I would like to thank YouTube for all the instructional videos. A few coats of paint and all done.


My dad and I laid the carpet.


The boys were very happy running in circles in this new empty room.