Go Cougs

Go Cougs

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Sod in the Backyard

My parents' backyard has been dirt for more than 10 years. Every summer they have talked about getting grass planted. Usually they talk about getting started when the weeds are 3 or 4 feet high. I hate chopping weeds. This year we got started earlier. The weeds were only 2 feet high. Dad and I chopped weeds and got everything cleared.



The rototiller came next, in order to soften up the ground. Then with rakes and shovels we leveled the yard.
Next we picked up rocks and smoothed the ground a few last times.

We loaded both our trucks to their max. 60 rolls of sod in each truck filled them to their limit. 2 loads a piece did the job. The most back braking part was getting the sod out of the trucks and into the wheel barrow. Try lifting 20 lbs on your knees 180 times or so.

Hauling the sod into the backyard with the wheel barrow was good. Dad got 9 rolls in each load. I had to up him and did 11. Most loads I did 9 rolls, since 11 wanted to tip over on me. It went down quickly and made an instant difference in the feel of the backyard.

Now all that is left is to water it and enjoy. Dad has been watering it twice a day. It should do great. I am glad that I will never have to chop weeds in this backyard ever again.

1 comment:

Jenson Evolution said...

That is great work! Its going to be so fun when it starts to grow!!