Go Cougs

Go Cougs

Saturday, June 18, 2011

New Receiver Hitch

I put a receiver hitch on my truck. It puts the weight of my trailer on the frame, instead of on the bumper. This bumper is not rated for the weight of even my small trailer. I had some difficulty getting the trailer on and off. We figure that the trailer had bent the bumper just a little bit and made the ball misaligned with the trailer coupling.

The hitch bolts to the frame in the same spot as the bumper. Four bolts hold on the bumper and six bolts hold on the hitch. Two of the bolts are shared. I had to drill four new holes in the frame.


The rack that holds my spare tire hinges down to allow the tire to be removed. The hinge rusted through and I had it wired shut for a while. We welded on some new metal and now it works great.

It took a bit of pounding and clamping to get everything lined up. We got it on and it looks great.


Now the trailer will be properly supported. It will also ride level. The ball on the hitch is a few inches lower than the ball on the bumper. With the front of the trailer lower, the back of the trailer is higher. No more scraping in dips and driveways.

We hope to be moving into our house in a few weeks and the truck and trailer will be put to good use moving all our things; plus all the projects we will be doing. I also will be hauling a few things up north for Michael (couch, table and chairs). I will pick up a few things at Jennifer's parents' house on the way back (cedar chest, beds, table and chairs, anything else I can talk them into donating). This new hitch will be great.

No comments: