Go Cougs

Go Cougs

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Storage Room Shelving

I work at a flooring store. We have racks with samples of all the products one might put in their home. Every few years manufacturers change the size of their samples, so that stores have to buy new displays. In order to get the newest colors and designs you have to buy the new displays. The old displays are garbage. I have a hard time throwing away good material. Last year, before we had our house, I was tearing down an old hardwood display. I thought I might be able to use the samples for some shelving, so I put them in the store's basement. There they sat for 10 months. I used 15 out of 30 on this project. The others are still down there waiting for the next project; probably the shed shelving.


Finally came the time to use them. The hardwood samples are 2 feet by 2 feet, so I built the shelving frames to match. I did not have to cut any of the samples. I just drilled pilot holes and nailed them down.


Seth and Carter were a big help. They handed me nails and mostly stayed out of the way. Seth even got out his own hammer and "bammed" (his word) some nails.


Here is the finished product. It was a fun project. I learned a lot, mostly from my mistakes. I need to thank Skip Gordon. I looked at his garage for a how-to on shelf building.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks great!!

Jenson Evolution said...

I love recycling materials and making new things!! Your shelves look great, that will be nice to have the extra storage space!