Go Cougs

Go Cougs

Friday, January 25, 2013

Yogurt


The last couple of months I have been trying new things. I have been feeling very experimental. I got a recipe from my Visiting Teacher Partner and did not waste any time. I have made it several time now and wanted to share it. It is super simple.


You take a gallon of milk. Add a cup of powdered  and a cup of sugar if you want Vanilla yogurt verses plain yogurt. You then heat it on the stove to 180 degrees. Once at 180 you remover it from the heat and let sit for 2 minutes.


It is then placed into a sink of cold water to lower the temperature to 120. Once at 120 you add in your yogurt start. Which is any plain yogurt with live cultures. I used Greek yogurt the first time and Now I use my own yogurt as a start. Then I put it into plastic containers and incubate it at 90 degrees for 7-10 hours.


 I place mine in a cooler with an electric heating pad. A dish towel is placed over the heating pad. Then I place the containers on top and close the cooler. I just have to set it and forget it. After it incubates you place it in the fridge for 12 to 24 hours. It can then be enjoyed. Thomas likes to add frozen juice concentrate to flavor his. I eat it plain or favored. We enjoy it so much the we do not usually share it with the boys. 

2 comments:

Cassie Cridlebaugh said...

I need to make some yogurt. Sounds delectable!
Great blog. :)

Jenson Evolution said...

I want to try this someday! If one didn't have an electric blanket how would they keep it at 90 degrees???