Go Cougs

Go Cougs

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Itchy Mess

 When Carter went in for his well child check up, we found out that he had double ear infections.  He got some antibiotics.  It seemed to be working.  Then a few nights later Carter woke up in the middle of the night and sounded like he was in some pain and I could not consul him.  I figured his ears were the reason for his unhappiness.  I decided to give him some Tylenol to help him go back to sleep. When I turned on the light I noticed that he had a little bit of a rash on his face. I unzipped his pajamas and saw that it was on his stomach and a little on his back. It was not on his arms or legs. I thought Chicken Pox; not fun. Hopefully they have an appointment available for tomorrow. I sat up with him for almost an hour just to see if the rash spread. 
 Carter woke up again at 7:30 am and when Thomas saw him it had spread to his legs and arms as well. Thomas said Chicken Pox also  Then he said it was probably an allergic reaction. I called the doctor at 8:30 and the only opening was at 2:00 that afternoon. What were we to do until then?

We found out that it was an allergic reaction in the antibiotic amoxicillin which is a form of penicillin. The strange part is that he had been taking it for five days with no signs.  I guess it can show up with sort of a delayed reaction.  Maybe he needed to get plenty in his system before it kicked in. The doctor gave Carter three new prescriptions and told us it should start to look better and be mostly gone by Sunday. Cater handled it really well. The rash looked a lot worse than I think he felt, but he still is very needy for me and always wants to be held. He is doing much better now and is looking better too.  A few more days and he should be all clear.
Grandpa Jenson is also allergic to penicillin.   Thomas' mom says that Erica is allergic to penicillin as well.  Don't worry the doctor said it is not genetic. 

6 comments:

John and Misty said...

Poor little guy! (And double ear infections also!) Hope it clears up soon!

Jenson Evolution said...

That is sad for Carter. Hopefully it gets feeling better.

Scott & Melanie said...

So sad!! :-( Hope he starts feeling better!

AmyJo said...

I started itching just looking at it! Glad it cleared up. Why is it that everything seems to hit in the middle of the night!

Unknown said...

Poor thing! Yes, it is true I am allergic as well. I know exactly how he feels. I found out I was allergic to that when I was in Mississippi visiting my friend. It was the worst. Now you know for the future. Glad he is feeling better.

Carlie said...

How scary now see are Pat and I really ready for this?