Go Cougs

Go Cougs

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Applesauce


 Last week I picked apples and made applesauce. It is great living in a community where ward members plant and grow more then they need and are willing to share. 
 Thomas helped me picked the apples in the blue bucket and the others I picked on 2 other days. 



 I borrowed a sauce maker from my mom.  It is designed so that you feed the apples into the top and sauce comes out one spout while the skins, seeds, stems, and other guts come out the other spout.  It worked great.


I filled every pot in the house, cooking my apples.


I made 14 quarts of applesauce on my own and then together Clara and I made 18 quarts more. We still have at least that much more to do but it will wait until another day.
I enjoy canning, well maybe not so much the work of canning, but the satisfaction of having food on the storage shelf. In our house we have a utility room with plenty of shelving for nice organization of all our food storage.

It is good to learn a dying art.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How fun! I remember our mom's canned together a lot. :) I love applesauce.

Unknown said...

Good for you! That's a lot of work, but I'm sure well worth it. Applesauce is so good!

Aimee Lauritsen said...

Jennifer, Besides applesauce, you may also want to bottle pie filling. My mom has an awesome recipe. We bottled pie filling with our apples this year. Let me know and I'll get you the recipe. It would be something new to add to your canning list for next year!